Friday, February 21, 2014

Junque Blooms Tutorial


I have a passion for paper, so of course I have stacks and stacks of it precariously perched on shelves and tucked into drawers in my studio. One of my favorite ways to use up some of this treasure trove is to create what I call Junque Blooms.


Any kind of paper will do for these pretty blooms. I especially love to use vintage sheet music, book paper, or sewing pattern tissue. For this bloom, I decided to use some some papers from the Graphic 45 Curtain Call collection. I love the neutral colors and interesting patterns!



To make the blooms, simply tear your favorite papers into small, medium, and large circles. You can also use punches or die cuts, but I prefer the shabby look of torn edges. Use a pencil to lightly sketch the circles in various sizes on the papers and then carefully tear around the lines. I used 4 different patterns in 3 sizes for a total of 12 circles.


Lightly spritz the paper circles with water and then crumple them to create texture. Be gentle, but don't worry if you get a tear or two, they just add character! Fold and unfold the circles 3 or 4 times for the best effect. The more you play with the paper, the more the fibers break down until it eventually feels like fabric or even leather. I brushed on some Twinkling H²Os Golden Nugget watercolor paint for a bit of sparkle. Stack the circles and then use a needle and some thread to stitch them together. Tie a secure knot and snip off the excess thread.



Use a strong adhesive like Crafter's Pick The Ultimate Glue to secure some ribbons on the back of the circles and to add a pretty center for your flower. I used a vintage clip-on earring with the back removed for my flower center. And now the Junque Bloom is complete!  I hope you will have fun using up all those papers in your stash to make some for yourself!
Kimberly




7 comments:

  1. fun tips! I love handmade flowers! The vintage clip earring center is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I have a huge stash of vintage jewelry bits and pieces, so I'm always happy to find a fun way to use them!

      Delete
  2. Love these flowers. I like making my own flowers, too, and these are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your sweet words Barbara! Glad you stopped by the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great tutorial, Kimberly--all those fussy fancy flowers I will never even try to make, but THIS is PERFECT!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trisha! I love them because they are so easy!

      Delete
  5. I "see" these made into brooches! Fun project, thank you!

    ReplyDelete